I love feedback. Leave a comment below!

Trying New Things

When was the last time you tried something you haven't tried before? I tend to get in a rut with my exercise, cooking, and habits. But I tried three new things recently, and I'm glad I did.

Acupuncture. Three months of Physical Therapy and back strengthening exercises hasn't fixed me. So, I'm trying a new approach.

On my first visit, my acupuncturist stuck many tiny needles in my back. "Drink lots of water. And don't apply lotion for twenty-four hours, your Qi might still be leaving your body."

Yesterday, she focused on a treatment to balance the two sides of my body. This time I got a few tiny needles in my feet and wrist. She lit sandalwood sticks and waved them over each finger and toe and I had to tell her when my Qi got hot.

So far, I'm seeing positive results. I feel better overall, in subtle ways. The tingling, while not completely gone, has diminished. I can sit and sleep more comfortably. I don't feel the overwhelming urge to stretch my piriformis constantly.

Roasted Broccoli. How have I never tried this before? Toss broccoli with canola or olive oil and a little coarse kosher salt. Roast in oven at 425 or 450 until the broccoli begins to brown, turning after about 5 minutes. The timing will depend on how large you cut them. I chopped each floret in half so they could lay flat on one side, but left them in fairly large chunks. Oh the flavor! Even if you're not usually a broccoli fan, I implore you to make this. It's an entirely different kind of flavor.

Burgers with Bulgur. I admit, I was dubious about adding soaked bulgur to high quality ground beef. But this was a winner. Not only was it wonderfully moist, the seasoning was spot on. Now, I've never had trouble tucking away a burger. But the icing on the cake, so to speak, was that this one was a bit less heavy. In a very good way. Click here for the recipe.

Here's to trying new things. Happy running and good eating!

10 comments:

  1. Ugh. Tried swimming... waiting to be glad I did it still.... :-(

    Oh, and my husband said the other night when you tweeted about the burgers, "And when do we get the recipe?!" Thanks for that! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roasted broccoli is my favorite! I like it w also cauliflower, beets, onions, garlic, and peppers. That's my typical dinner, in fact. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roasting cauliflower with some broccoli changed how I felt about the vegetable forever. I like to mist it with olive oil and coat it with garlic powder ... so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i tried acupuncture this year too. great stuff. as for roasted broccoli. not yet!

    i do recommend slow roasting pumpkin at 120 degs over 6 hours though! yummmo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am now having burgers and broccoli for dinner - thnx for the recipe reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for trying new things! Fail or succeed, we grow each time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so easy to get into a rut and so rewarding when we try something new. BTW, try the broccoli with thinly sliced garlic mixed in before your roast it. Then a little Parmesan when it comes out of the oven. Lovely. Gonna have to try the burger recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i recently went on a running trip to india, which kind of reminded me wow cool trying neew stuff is, so i have been doing a lot of it recently, but i've never heard or roast brocolli, much less tried it, but as luck has it i have brocolli in the fridge, so i'll give it a try...ps never stop trying new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last year I injured my sternum and couldn't exercise for over 9 months. I tried so many things and nothing helped until 2 1/2 months ago when I started acupuncture. Since I started going, my injury has improved so much and I ran my first 10k on Sunday! I definitely believe in it and hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm totally with you on the Acupuncture and Roasted Broccoli. They both do such amazing things for the body. Love it, love it.

    Im new to your blog - and like it very much! Happy new year!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback. Leave a comment!