I love feedback. Leave a comment below!

Ciabatta

My latest experiment: ciabatta bread. Another creation easily coaxed from the basic boule dough in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I've been resisting this incarnation because I so love the crackling, crunchy, crispy crust of the basic slashed boule and baguette. But Tom has had an affinity for the soft, chewy, slipper-shaped ciabatta ever since he got a taste of Whole Foods' offering, and I just had to attempt to outdo them.
The difference here is that you don't dust the dough with flour, but form with wet hands into an oval about 3/4 inch thick. You still use steam and sprinkle the top with flour just before baking, but don't slash the dough.
Look at the crumb in the photo to the left! I made two mini-loaves so Tom could have his own. You see why he loves me?
Next up, my report on homemade ice cream. Let me just forewarn you that I should have taken photos before tasting it.

2 comments:

  1. Looks tasty! :)
    Also looks like you've been to Terrapin MT. :)

    I ran the half. I'm also a bit of a bread fanatic. Rick Gray (TM50K) sent me your link about bread. Wife and I have been experimenting over the winter. Currently I'm building an earth-oven at our house. She's catching our first batch of wild yeast right now. It's starting to smell delicious. Here's my blog about the oven, race reports, whatnot.
    http://jjjessee.blogspot.com/2009/02/wood-fired-earth-oven-construction-part.html
    We were Veggies a long time and have made our own tofu a few times. We recently have been grinding our own flour from Kamut in a NutriMill --great machine and grain.

    Running Promise Land?
    I hope to,
    JJJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. JJJ, cool earth oven! I am jealous! I have a secret fantasy that I could go live off the grid. You never know . . .
    I haven't been to Terrapin . . . should put that on the list!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback. Leave a comment!