I love feedback. Leave a comment below!

My Running Partner

I feel I've been neglecting my blog. I haven't had much motivation to write.
 

Oddly enough, I'm running - a lot. More than usual, in fact. But I haven't felt I've had much to say about my training.

Oh, I've had all the typical runs: the I-love-running runs, scenic runs, it's-way-too-hot runs, the fast runs that felt pretty easy, the breakthrough run (fast, with hills!) and yes, a couple of demoralizing, no energy, slow, anybody-wanna-buy-a-registration? runs. 
 
It's good having a goal, a plan, and a daily workout to accomplish. It's fun to log those miles.

So what gives?

Normally, I'm running trails and ridiculous distances but not training all that much. I'm surrounded with friends and the whole run is like a big party, even the suffering. Then, there's a party at the end. Fun!

Lately, training runs have been like Solitary Confinement for this girl. I've skipped most of the ultras this summer, as they aren't what I need to prepare for this marathon.
I haven't planned to run with friends, or a running group, and lo and behold, I've ended up training alone.


Hubz had joined me on some days. Before this summer, we rarely ran together because he runs a faster pace than I do. But as a result of the amazing improvements in my body since I began practicing Bikram yoga, as well as doing speedwork, hill repeats, and running more miles, I'm running faster. Hubz and I are more evenly matched.

We were both really enjoying these shared training runs. As two people who tend to prefer doing their own thing (athletically, anyway), I think it surprised us both.

He showed me some new routes in our neighborhood, I shared my knowledge from my four previous marathon training seasons. We commiserated about the quirks and pains of road running. 
Then, he got injured.  

Running the Fancy Pants 5K together in April
I miss his company out there. While he's always happy to hear about my running, there's less joy in sharing my running stories knowing he can't do what he loves.

I've been dragging him to Bikram yoga recently. He's excited to have a new challenge. I'm hoping he gets as much out of it as I have, and that he'll heal quickly. 

I'm really looking forward to running with him again.
Post a Comment

Follow by Email