I love feedback. Leave a comment below!

Miles and Goals

I'm not organized enough to write a real year-end recap, but I couldn't resist posting my DailyMile summary graph and looking back at the miles I ran in 2011.

Last year in January, I was recovering from a six month battle with a bulging disc in my lower back. I slowly began building my mileage back. Mindful of the long period I'd been unable to run, I took it easy and enjoyed simply being out there.

This chart shows total miles including walking, cycling, hiking ...
This shows the miles I ran: 1158

My longest run in 2011 was Highlands Sky 40 Miler. I was ecstatic to run a PR there.

I also ran three 50K trail races, a road marathon, a trail half marathon, a 10 mile trail race, two 5 milers and three 5K races (one of which was supposed to be a 10k).

Races I ran this year:
40 M - 1 (PR)
50 K - 3
26.2 M - 1 (PR)
13.1 M - 1
10 M - 1
5 M - 2
5 K - 3 (PR)


This year, I'm excited about running more miles. I enjoyed the structured training I did in preparation for the Marine Corps Marathon, even if I didn't love running all those miles on the roads

I'm especially looking forward to running my favorite trail race of all, the Laurel Highlands 70 Miler. It's a challenging, beautiful, ever-changing, close-to-magical trail in southwest Pennsylvania. Every section has different flora. Come race day in June, the wildflowers are everywhere.

A stream bed on the Laurel Highlands trail

Running Laurel Highlands 70 Miler in 2006
Posing for a moment among a fields of ferns as far as the eye can see
I ran this race in 2006, and had a fantastic day out there. It took me just over 19 hours, and I'm hoping to better my time this year.

My check has been mailed. Now all I have to do is put in the training miles this Spring.

I'm definitely looking forward to the challenge. But mostly, I'm excited to run the miles.



Follow by Email