Whatever your sport, you know that cross training is important.
That's why I get out kayaking as often as I can in the summer.
In light of that, I give you eight tips to help you cross train properly.
1. Invite friends along so you'll be accountable to someone.
|Thanks Josh and Mary for showing us a lovely new place!|
2. Choose an activity that's not too strenuous, but offers a different challenge.
|Antietam Creek is a great Class I-II run through beautiful natural scenery |
and the historic Antietam civil war battlefield park.
3. Remember to take note of your surroundings, including flora and fauna.
|Great Blue Heron|
4. In summer especially, it's crucial to stay hydrated. Use a hydration system that works for you.
|Hubz demonstrates a hydration delivery system|
5. Don't forget to refuel to keep your energy level high.
6. Appreciate the beauty along your chosen route.
|Approaching Burnside's Bridge|
|A lot of blood was shed here during the Battle of Antietam|
|Antietam Creek joins the Potomac River at the C&O Canal Park|
7. Test your equipment before you start. Failing that, pack your picnic in a dry bag!
8. Have fun!
What's your favorite form of summer cross training?